After screening, the assessment process is critical to effective addiction treatment. In fact, treatment can only be as effective as the thoroughness of the assessment process. The assessment process can and should result in clients’ reduced denial or “resistance” and easily transition into therapy.
On December 7th and 8th, Dr. Don Osborne will be presenting a live webinar on Comprehensive & Advanced Assessment of Addiction That Parallels the ASAM Patient Placement Criteria.
In this program you will learn:
- Understanding a comprehensive approach to assessment.
- Be able to describe a continuum model of addiction’s progressive nature with problems, tolerance and loss of control.
- Be able to formulate specific relevant questions to ask during the interview process.
- How to use Motivational Interviewing to engage clients and develop a rapport with them.
- How to obtain collateral information about the client from family members and other sources.
- How to use the DSM-5’s criteria for Substance Use Disorders to diagnose clients and decrease their resistance to treatment.
- Gaining clients’ trust, reduce denial and resistance to treatment.
- Gain clients’ agreement that they are addicted to some substance or behavior at a particular stage of the addiction process.
- How to match the assessment with the patient placement criteria that determine the specific level of care advocated by ASAM (American Society of Addiction Medicine).
- How to transition from screening to the assessment to the therapy stages of treatment.
Registration is now open, click here to sign up. Course completion earns 3 CEUs.
Please note that this workshop is not on the SASSI screening tool.